Wikist Le Mystérieux
January 05, 2015 17:57:19

It looks pretty unrealistic. I wish there would be more "normal" buildings. Lone tower in the middle of the town surrounded by only grass? The centre of city IS LAWN? With only tower, stables and another building? Where are living houses that were in Heroes III, V and VI? I really don't like this concept. Another example, just look at walls, they don't defend city from the west side at all! It is there just to inform you that you build something, but no reality! Please add more buildings.

Niwroc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 18:01:03

Looks like they have a handful of unnamed buildings, so better than academy, still need more though. The amount of civilians needed to properly support an army is pretty high.

Wikist Le Mystérieux
January 05, 2015 18:04:29

It's not just a screen that tells you what you've built. If we wanted something like this then we would be satisfied with city screens in Heroes VI at the begging. It should shows you a city. Some of you will tell that we have town screens and what's my point? My point is that I want this game to be a succes and townscreens like this in my opinion was mistake. But they can easly repair it. Just add more living houses and complete this wall. Same with Academy: no real wall, no real houses.

Niwroc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 18:06:43

I was agreeing with you while saying that they did make an improvement over the academy townscreen. Wasn't arguing with you at all.

Wikist Le Mystérieux
January 05, 2015 18:12:25

@Niwroc Nah... I was just writing my second part of comment, but you were fast enough to write something between. :)

Niwroc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 18:22:16

Ah ok, I'm less confused now :-)

JotunLogi
January 05, 2015 20:43:20

Can someone explain to me how cavalry and infantry will use Town portal? It is isolated, no road connections, just before it there is a huge hall... Even flyers will have problems with it...

I guess it has been made bz the same architect that is responsible for Academy...

GalaadleHaut Le Héros
January 05, 2015 23:09:58

I agree is very similar to Academy.

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 20:38:35

It's just staggering how many of us Councillors can see all those obvious inconsistencies and lack of logic and sense in the town design that noone on the developer side seemed to notice. Did the artist show his concept to anyone? Who's making decisions in Limbic? And isn't Ubi responsible for community management? WTF is this?

darioio
January 05, 2015 20:55:25

Exactly! That's what I'm thinking!
How come?!

EnergyW Le Pirate
January 05, 2015 20:59:44

Let's bust these fools out! *prepares shotgun*

Chiasa Le Fou
January 05, 2015 21:04:07

You know, someone decided to reduce number of resources in H6 and probably thought it a great idea too... Compared to it ugly ts isn't that terrible.
Sometimes I wonder if people making those decisions ever played any of the games.

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 21:04:52

Hahah
'Where did I put my spellbook....' ;DDD

Thranduilll Le Mystérieux
January 05, 2015 21:06:29

*prepares his silverstar blade*

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 21:12:25

@Chiasa
'Tis true but I meant something else in this one. There seems to be no 'chain of command' among the devs and Ubi, what they present to the community seems chaotic and... accidental. I sometimes think that everyone in the studio work independently, without control or common idea - just compare graphic styles of campaign map and twonscreens.
And if they can't do something as simple as logic placement of buildings (seriously - show me something logical) how can they make logical mechanic?

January 05, 2015 21:14:33

I just hope these townscreens don't reflect limbics attitude from the twitch demo... "nobody really looks at town-screens anyway" was roughly what the devs said there. It kinda feels like that to me when I look at academy and haven screens; nobody cares so they just slabned something together...

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 21:18:36

@ramborusina
That actually would be a relief for me, I do indeed see them only as townscreens. Nice but irrelevant. And if devs have such approach to them then it's possible they put much needed effort into more important things:)

Chiasa Le Fou
January 05, 2015 21:19:07

@ptrtsc
I get the same impression, but luckily people who make arts aren't the ones planning/programming mechanics (I hope! :D) They did say in twitch demo that town screens are unimportant, cause nobody looks at them anyway >.< so I guess that's the effect - minimal effort put into them

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 21:26:50

If the orcish Stronghold will also look that stupid (sorry guys, nothing else comes to mind with this...) I;ll probably start raging. At some point we may even get to conclusion that H6 solution was better - no townscreens at all >_<

Niwroc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 22:16:08

No, I despised the funky no towscreen bug. I could not play the game like that it irked me so much, At least we get SOMETHING here.

darioio
January 06, 2015 13:04:13

You guys want 3D town and yet developers are not able to make proper 2D townscreen!
I can understand so money issues but it doesn't justify poor work!!

TodorTodorov431 Le Fou
January 06, 2015 19:27:20

Incompetence,and they get paid for these and shure they are very proud with their work and i dont understand nothing and i am a hater and troll :)).

JotunLogi
January 05, 2015 21:17:32

Sorry for more complainig, we have finally new year and some article has been finaly presented.

But...

Forget about silly architecture, some placement of the buildings and lacks in general view....

Look at te perspective, the lines, at giving impression. It s bad, really, really bad. I am certan that some graphics and concepts, arts can be made better by some users. In DoC there are plenty of outstanding arts. But here? tragic- I mean here basic elements of drawing

JotunLogi
January 05, 2015 21:19:34

perspective is bad, some eleents (like in the wall) suddenly are way to big and then way too small, proportions are bad, lines are often not straight when they souhld be nad in other situations not curved... I know it is a drawing but in the trailer, in the early version of the game- it was as bad as here!!! Please, chane it! And give normal wall- wall does not have to be pretty!

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 17:53:46

Well, I guess this one feels a bit better than the Academy but still too much toy-like...

Querundt
January 05, 2015 17:58:26

And don't forget the doors that end in rivers or cliff sides...

Rohan49 Le Magnifique
January 05, 2015 17:59:26

Agree with you totally !

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 18:04:49

@Querundt
Heh, yeah, just like in Academy TS:/
And two more things: why is the Town Portal OUTSIDE the walls without any way to get inside the town?... And some buildings scaling is off - that tiny thing is a Cathedral? Again, just like the so called Coliseum in Academy TS...

shakal9111
January 07, 2015 15:40:47

Sorry guys but it looks like cheap townscreen from some browser-based strategy game. Nowadays with all that equipment and all those money u should make townscreens like in Heroes V, those cities view were breathtaking and sice u want to join the best qualities of all heroes parts and make some improvements u should not release such an owfull townscreen concepts it is just wrong. But if u want heroes VII to be greater dissapointment than Heroes VI u're on a good way to acomplished that.

mediczero Le Marteau du Destin
January 07, 2015 15:49:24

Bugdet limitations. It takes a lot of time and money to do that, and there is more important stuff they need to fokus on...

Thranduilll Le Mystérieux
January 07, 2015 16:09:37

Mediczero, if it's going to be like that I'll pay for this game not with money but with something more important, love. Hope it will compensate it :>

January 07, 2015 02:00:33

@ Ubi : Assign more budget to town screens please. Having it 2D fine, but not like this. Like many other comments are saying: city is completely illogical and technical implementation is awfull (perspective, objects blending). It really seems as 1euro indie android game graphics. Considering how some parts of game are detailed this is shame. People were saying this from the start, what are you trying to prove here?

mediczero Le Marteau du Destin
January 06, 2015 09:06:09

Inproved things to inprove list:

More houses and roads
a complete wall that goes around the entire city
fields and farmhouses ourside the city
districts of related buildings (religios buildings (cathedral of light, convent of Elrath...) one place, resource buildings (marketplace, resource silo....) another place...)
some buildings needs new lacotions (Transept of elysium)

violetcoffee
January 06, 2015 09:15:43

IT NEEDS FULL REDO. BACK TO BLANK CANVAS

mediczero Le Marteau du Destin
January 06, 2015 09:36:38

It's not that bad. It needs inprovement, but currently it makes a nice basic...

violetcoffee
January 06, 2015 09:55:38

Mediczero did you consider, that there can be people.. who actually knows what they are talking about? I was forced to completely redo my work x times, sometimes just because one silly objection.This case has fatal errors.

mediczero Le Marteau du Destin
January 06, 2015 10:16:23

Actually, this doesn't have so many horrible erros that all the work that have been done needs to be casted away. The pespective is a bit of, but the shading is nice and the building designs doesn't look half bad. The things I stated above is what I believe that can easily be inproved (mainly 1, 2 and 3) with changing the entire townscreen to much...

Tumorco1
January 06, 2015 11:25:18

They should change the place of half of the buildings. It looks quite silly right now.

violetcoffee
January 06, 2015 11:37:43

You might think that I am overreacting, or playing some artsy smartass here, but let me reminder this... I haven't got a single one objection against haven or academy units design- not a single one. I would do some things differently, but I don't see any major problems with them- they are ok. But the towns screens are fatal error in eyes of person who studied design. Look at cleglaw's comment below and my replies it might help to understand...

mediczero Le Marteau du Destin
January 06, 2015 11:43:43

I cannot deny that there is some major flaws, but I do not think that it means the devs has to make the entire townscreen from scratch of that reason. Using this as a basic is a good idea, and by adding inprovement both in the form of minor things like the things I suggest, and major things like other suggested...

JotunLogi
January 05, 2015 21:00:02

" stay tuned in the following weeks to discover our answers!"

WTF, I have already stood tuned for several weeks being promised to see some spectacular work at the beginning of the new year...

And why there are no changes to the townscreen in spite of the fact that some aspects of it have been already crushed and critisized for some very weird things when it has been released in the first trailer?

mediczero Le Marteau du Destin
January 05, 2015 21:02:50

They probably worked on something different...

EnergyW Le Pirate
January 05, 2015 21:05:10

Drinking booze, probably. Can't say I blame them, nothing goes well without booze on New Years' Eve in most folk. Especially in Russia.

Tumorco1
January 05, 2015 20:54:10

This drawing is AWFUL. Really.

And, by the way, who is the genius who decided to put a wall in front of an abyss and left the rest of the city un protected?

EnergyW Le Pirate
January 05, 2015 20:56:41

Uh... maybe they watched Hobbit movies too much?

ptrsc L'Ancien
January 05, 2015 20:58:22

This has to be some military mastermind at least at the level of Sun Tzu! ;DDDD

Diego809
January 05, 2015 20:04:43

All I'm going to say is that ANY browser game realting strategy has better townscreens than this... thing. The bar was set very high for heroes VI in the matter of townscreens, and they failed miserably. I cannot express how happy I was when I saw the trailer of M&MH7, hoping that the lesson had been learnt. It appears not. Guess that beholding great townscreens for minutes is exclusive of Heroes V.

Lawmakerex1
January 09, 2015 23:36:48

I actually got photoshop just so that i can see if i can be able to make the ts look better cause i really want the devs to fix, TS in heroes are as important as the gameplay and should never be cut out or reduced for any reason. HoMM 5 had the best TS i have ever seen and i started playing at HoMM 2, so i have seen all. But 5 really went beyond my wildest imagination. I really hope the devs will go back to that mentality

SLOslayer
January 07, 2015 02:38:48

I know this town screen is just an image, but how about some animation - even villagers and people walking around? Horses feeding, Calvary drilling, archers practicing their shots. Monks walking to and from worship in the cathedral, villagers walking in and out of town with carts of goods. I realize it would be a lot more work, but it would truly make the town alive. It wouldn't have to be interactive, just for aesthetics, but you could tie it into town development...

SLOslayer
January 07, 2015 02:42:50

... As you upgrade the town, the cityscape gets busier. Upgrade the fort and two Knights are practicing jousting instead of ones, more archers at the range, etc.

HOMM3 had some animation in townscreens, so I don't think this is asking too much a decade later. It would add so much life to these dimensionless stills and would make me excited to develop my town...

SLOslayer
January 07, 2015 02:47:50

This can translate into other factions, too. Golems being built, Titans climbing in and out of the clouds, hydras emerging from the deep, dragons flying around their roosts. It could be really cool, really active.

The4Elements87
January 07, 2015 02:58:52

I agree with this wholeheartedly. What it lacks, if you ask me, is Life. Currently it just looks like some sort of Lifeless ghost city, I hope there'll be animations and such coming.

Blake00
January 07, 2015 07:43:20

yes.. this is the biggest thing I miss from Heroes 1. Towns look so dead now!

Necromancer1981 L'Ancien
January 06, 2015 16:41:02

ஜ══════════ஜ۩۞۩ஜ══════════ஜ
|▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒|
|▒▒▒▒ M e r r y C h r i s t m a s ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒|
|▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒|
ஜ══════════ஜ۩۞۩ஜ══════════ஜ

@UBI: I hope that the news of the Necropolis faction, not have to wait long ... please do not over-tighten!

GalaadleHaut Le Héros
January 06, 2015 16:44:47

Necro your ASCII is becoming impressive !!

Mirash_ge Le Dragon
January 06, 2015 16:49:59

He's handsome and intelligent hoodlum

Necromancer1981 L'Ancien
January 06, 2015 16:54:48

Oh yeah my French friend! prepare his glass, we are going to drink vodka!

GalaadleHaut Le Héros
January 06, 2015 16:57:24

-- http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag274/Galaadlehaut/20141231_181715_zpseaaaf67b.jpg --

Necromancer1981 L'Ancien
January 06, 2015 17:02:51

-- http://winestyle.ru/products/Russian-Standard-Platinum-750.html

Mirash_ge Le Dragon
January 06, 2015 17:03:35

I'll make you a delicious and beautiful salad ))

Niwroc L'Ancien
January 06, 2015 19:31:00

Consider me impressed by your ASCII skills

Luhorox
January 06, 2015 12:03:45

Simple and minimalistic? Fine. No 3D due to budget limit? Well, I can stand it.

But damn, I'm not sold on "painting-style" townscreens. It's a computer game and I want computer graphics. Current townscreen looks out of place. They just don't match Heroes series.

And I must mention that this Golden Dragon looks cheap and silly.