KnotMyGuts
January 01, 2015 17:07:10

Arcane library выглядит один в один как православная церковь. Даже кресты на куполах имеются. Что за чёрт?!

zoomongy
December 31, 2014 13:44:18

I assume the town will be in full 3d and with effects from the unreal engine, once it is finished, like the rest of the game. As far as art goes it is not very good, you might want to go back to the look from HMM5 (which is my favorite game from the HMM title this far and i play/own all heroes games up to date). I'm a bit disappointed that ubisoft is choosing to try to replicate 3dos masterpiece(HMM3) instead of building up on what they did in hmm5 and mmh6.

Foofighter2012
January 01, 2015 19:12:43

Well, opinions are unfortunately divided but personally I agree with you. 3D was much better than this cartoon image of Academy. With 3D it did look like a proper town.

GalaadleHaut Der Held
January 02, 2015 00:37:05

There are not trying to replicate NWC iterations, have you seen the game features ?

Jaegerkiller
December 31, 2014 03:26:03

Uhm havn't you said, you will update the Academy site right after you present us the new lineup? It is still the same unfinished site!

GalaadleHaut Der Held
January 02, 2015 00:39:22

Be a little more patient, we will probably get an update at the end of vacation.

spazzerrune
December 29, 2014 19:31:30

One (honestly) last comment:

Ubisoft, if you want to model successful games, take a leaf out from Blizzard, listen to public feedback. This entire thread is full of people saying they won't buy the game if it's a lazy boring townscreen where every building is the same size, gets 1 spot, and looks like every other. I wouldn't buy the game either, I'd continue playing H3.

Jaegerkiller
December 31, 2014 03:29:11

Oh man, this is so true... im so glad you will give us the random skills back, but the next BIG point are the townscreens. Just look at Heroes 2 and 3, combine them (the style, if possible) and the townscreens should looking awesome! So Far i don't like ANY of the townscreens. :( Too much color, too shiny, the builings looking bad and the whole screen don't fit together! And this is the same for EVERY Screen i saw so far! :(

GalaadleHaut Der Held
January 02, 2015 00:40:17

I will buy MMH7 but it won't stop me from playing H3 :P

spazzerrune
December 29, 2014 18:57:12

Sorry, in addition to my post below, you can actually use a fiery hole as the Fire Pit for the Cabeiri Masters, similar to the pit lords in Inferno in HOMM3. Other good ideas from HOMM3 include a cave for cyclops, a few more trees for dendroid soldiers, or a "hidden" glen for unicorns in Rampart town. Not everything has to be a designated BUILDING. Like oh, a building for unicorns or a building for dragons. It doesn't make sense. Similar to what you did with the Arcane Vortex for the Simurghs.

spazzerrune
December 29, 2014 19:05:30

If I may just show what I think is a good idea of a townscreen:

Credit to whoever designed it, cause it's good. Let me say that townscreen designs are SO important. They subconciously make A LOT of people want/not want to play this game. You may not want to spend a lot of money on developing 3D towns, but adding some HeroesV graphics into your 2D screen like the one in the link would be infinitely better

mediczero Der Schicksalshammer
December 29, 2014 19:06:24

Well do consider that the Simurghs are sorta summoned creatures, so it makes sense to have a building as the summoning location.
And I want you to remember that it is called treant now, not dendroids, and that we have the deer and not hte unicorn (Beside, H5 unicorn garden works just fine)

Articun Der Wanderer
December 29, 2014 19:06:37

i also find having statues of the units outside of their dwelling idiotic at best. It's different to have a golem-in-construction, but a Cabir statue? A giant Gargoyle instead of small ones all across the towns, or a flying disciple statue.... )-.-)

I mean, much better to make a Statue of Raksashas and some Raksashas admiring it. That would make much more sense

Articun Der Wanderer
December 29, 2014 19:08:25

No, they are not conjured birds anymore. They conjured them at first, but then they started breeding, so ok, let's have a vortex summoning building for the Simurghs but also nests or something that shows that arcane eagles do dwell somewhere in the faction

mediczero Der Schicksalshammer
December 29, 2014 19:14:11

Actually, do consider the towers. The arcane vortex has both a sort of portal to summon the birds, but also towers. Tell me, what can those towers be used to? I think simurgh nests!! :D

Articun Der Wanderer
December 29, 2014 19:17:31

hahahaha, with a lot of fantasy maybe. But arcane eagles are big, like BIG. so maybe have some nests on the mountains in the back? And those towers are probably for the wizards that keep the summoning portals open.

The point is, that maybe it would be best if all magic buildings were built together as a Magic terrace or a Magic Grand University of sorts with all various enchancement buildings and dwellings as parts of it. And above it, we might have the simurghs nests :P

mediczero Der Schicksalshammer
December 29, 2014 19:25:48

I do not think that the simurghs should have open "nests". Seems to wild and stronghold like. Having towers that houses the birds is a better idea, and it also seems more like what the wizards would do.

Also, that most simple way they can inprove the townscreen is to let the mage guild and thieves guild shift places.

spazzerrune
December 29, 2014 18:36:39

I feel like the graphic designers are just doing their job for the money. Where is the PASSION? Let me share some ways to improve the townscreens.

Heroes 3 had the best townscreens because the screens looked like REAL towns. Take a look at the Tower townscreen in HOMM3. The Mage Guild, Library, Mage/Archmage Barracks, and Wall of Knowledge were all built into ONE structure. The Tavern, Marketplace, Artifact Merchants, and Blacksmith were together in a pseudo village with a brick theme.

spazzerrune
December 29, 2014 18:40:50

(Cont.)
If you could bundle some of the buildings together in different themes in different parts of the screen, you could save time by designing less individual buildings like what you did with this preliminary townscreen above for Academy. This will also save space in the screen for CIVILIAN buildings that appear as you upgrade your capitol. On top of that, you could make civilian buildings appear when you build things like the University of Magic or the Thieves' Guild.

spazzerrune
December 29, 2014 18:46:06

(Cont.)

One last thing, take a look at your silver parapet. You could easily help make your town look more put together by incorporating the silver parapet into the small arches right below it. Instead of a huge unrealistic singular parapet with ONE gargoyle, you could use 8 - 10 smaller gargoyles shrinking that same figure that you've already designed and then lining these gargoyles above the arches to make it look like a parapet, and not a plain boring statue.

Articun Der Wanderer
December 29, 2014 19:04:09

I agree to all you pointed out. If possible buildings with the same function would unite into a bigger building it would make the whole town screen look more concrete.
I mean, the magic university, magic schools, Arcane Vortex and Pinnacle of Wishes could be made into one major building with different corridors it would make more sense.
The same goes for the crafters, pyramid crafter, golem workshop, cabir forge etc.

SLOslayer
January 04, 2015 07:48:47

I couldn't agree more. It looks like just a collection of unit producing buildings and that's it. It doesn't feel like an inhabitable city. Having civilian housing get added on as you developed your city in Homm3 really added a lot, and made the whole cityscape and really the whole game more believable and more immersive. I know its a work in progress, but this city is too utilitarian. Every building is separate, with single purpose. It just doesn't look lived in, alive.

GrayMatters Der Prächtige
December 29, 2014 10:55:08

Following some comments, I quite changed my mind regarding that town screen. While I value function over form, this town screen is too much a graphical menu.

I get it is clearer to have clearly separated boxes to select units, but here it lost all semblance of a town. Not only is there no buildings like houses to give life and make the city real, but the layout is really incoherent: arcane library far from magic guild? And University of Magic should be near those building also, no?

GrayMatters Der Prächtige
December 29, 2014 11:02:02

Same thing for constructs: in a real city, you would expect a construct district, as golems and gargoyles are likely made by same peoples. And a market district: why are resource buildings so far away from each others, without any connections?

If your inspiration is Heroes3 here, I would say the best part of the old town screens is the internal coherence of the city (building and faction-lore). It is totally lacking here.

For the record, I find most of H3 townscreens ugly, but it's my taste

mediczero Der Schicksalshammer
December 29, 2014 11:17:27

I agree with you, even on the H3 townscreen point. There are three main things they can do to inprove the townscreen.

1: Adding houses and other civil buildings, which add to life of the townscreen.

2: Shift locations of some of the buildings. Just letting the magic guild and the thieves guild shift places would already be a huge inprovement. The marketplace and the pyramid craft would also gain from trading locations.

3: Redesigning some of the building. Especially the silver parapet

FuzzzeL Der Erboste
December 25, 2014 12:08:18

I like the design but... I hope that it is not the end product.
i wand more !

KhanOfSlaughter Der Eroberer
December 25, 2014 12:24:51

"wand more" I see what you did there ;)

GalaadleHaut Der Held
December 25, 2014 12:41:37

As always, please keep in mind that all information in this website is work in progress and that some elements may change before release time. Moreover, this article goal only is to focus on main buildings but the game will offer more variety and options while upgrading your town so stay tuned for more details!

FuzzzeL Der Erboste
December 26, 2014 19:31:00

yeah *GalaadleHaut" i hope so ;d

Just wait and Tee drink.

Ausshwig12
December 25, 2014 11:30:00

WILL ANY PATCH THAT WILL INCLUDE INFERNO? PLEASE ANSWERE ME ...

mediczero Der Schicksalshammer
December 25, 2014 11:31:15

There will probably be a DLC with it...

GalaadleHaut Der Held
December 25, 2014 01:59:57

Dear developers,
Limbic Townscreens is a topic at Heroes Community and has its own thread, under the Falcon section.
Academy TS discussion starts at page 8.
An attempt of constructive criticism is being made there, I hope you don't miss it.

Merry Xmas !
-- http://www.celestialheavens.com/h3maparchives/wog/picsall/santa_gremlin.jpg --

Drezdaroth
December 24, 2014 17:18:24

I don't mean to be a pain in the a**, or anything, but can you not realise how much the people, you do the game for, hate this kind of "townscreen"? Honestly? You do over the top monsters, characters, objects on the map, magnificent terrains and what more! I know it's not an easy job, being an animator, but can't you do proper townscreens anymore? Do you truly want to repeat what Heroes VI's downfall (at least in my oppinion) was?

Drezdaroth
December 24, 2014 17:36:54

A few more things. These townscreens are not "original", they simply ruin the illusion you worked years to build. Why not bring back V? The 3D cities were awesome, original! The player really felt like the protector of his/her city! Now? The knight of a darn painting! And what is this, "back to Heroes III" thing? Heroes III is the crown jewel of the series, but it's old. You can't compare something that came out 10 years ago to a game this new! But at least those towns were enjoyable!

radg91
December 23, 2014 22:30:45

Shall need to work more on the view of the cities!
It should be more city like (as the below comment says), i mean houses, roads, vegatation, and not just various functional buildings in chaos.
And i know its subjective but as i found in V that complex and beautiful buildings with 3D view were the best. I think 3D is great just make it easy to use, from the main view, but give an opportunity to the gamers to just enjoy that the camera craws over the city in the sunrise. Its really important!!!

radg91
December 23, 2014 22:31:26

Its one of the biggest fails in heroes VI for me (with the trading post XD). In Heroes u need to like your towns, to play a better game.

Kobisteinchen
December 21, 2014 19:57:18

It doesn't really look like a town, it feels too random. Where do the people live? In H5 you could see houses in every city. It felt huge and it was really beautiful! I admired the H5 towns forever! I woudl really prefer 3D towns like in H5, why is it so difficult to make them? The above picture just looks rushed!

Greenpakto
December 21, 2014 20:21:43

I do REALLY prefer 3D screens. Thats the ONE thing from heroes 5 that I still remember clear as day. Having said that, I am fine with 2D screens if they are made properly, however, this is just pure crap.
Heroes 3 had very good town screens, where it felt like the buildings could host the creatures and units. It felt REALISTIC and proportionate, almost like a picture. I fukin hate these "new" cartoon graphics they seem to stick to.

Misha12010
December 22, 2014 13:12:34

Have to admit, you've got a point. Despite that, this town screen looks a lot like Homm 3 and I like that.

Helower89
January 21, 2015 10:39:28

please add sanctuary <3

Sorgimus
December 21, 2014 18:29:32

FOR BETTER TOWN SCREEN!
#FBTS
#GUBTS

MumuWarrior12 Der Wanderer
December 21, 2014 22:57:09

Maybe you can give it a depth? And a little bit more realistic scale?
I would appreciate it much. :)

December 21, 2014 18:05:59

What about implement adaptive enviroment and backround affected by terrain where city is builded on map like in H4?

I dont like when fortress town is snowy even though it stands in desert, beautiful heaven village with sunny backround in undeground and so... Its just detail but makes more real feelings, it forms the atmosphere and uniqueness of the town.

Jaegerkiller
December 31, 2014 03:36:01

holy shit that would be awesome.....

Greenpakto
December 20, 2014 16:54:46

These Town Screens are HORRIBLE. Why are they going with a cartoony looks? And why the F havent they made us vote "cartoon" or "realistic" town screens. Heroes 6 has far better town screens so far.

Greenpakto
December 20, 2014 17:01:38

Honestly. Wtf are these devs doing? In truth, they say they want to "go back to the roots of heroes 3". BUT the portraits are cartoony, NOT like heroes 3 porrtraits (check my avatar). And the town screens are FAAAAAR worse than heroes 3 and heroes 6. What are they doing? STOP with the cartoon graphics. These graphics are not and have NEVER been for heroes series.

redmetalgears
December 21, 2014 05:21:56

Can't believe that Heroes Online and Duel of Champions have better art direction than the flagship title of the series. Even Heroes 6 had better towns, more diverse and original, and those where rushed like hell. Everything up until now was ok, this is the thing that breaks the deal for me. Town screens not important, yeah keep dreaming Ubisoft...

violetcoffee
December 21, 2014 20:01:35

I was quite hyped for town screens after votes, and they even pointed that -town screens are important feature- their own words. I expected something different

samuli11
December 22, 2014 13:39:25

I guess the cartoon look is due to the lower budget than H5. Blame freaking UBIsoft. Well, maybe value of the money is changed in 9 years, but relatively speaking. I am sure that that we dont get 3D screens and this is pretty close the look of the final screen. "work in progress".. i really hope so. Civil houses!

If the art style wont change, i dont buy this game. It`s been 15 years since H3 and it`s screens beat this in every possible way. Unbelievable, if you ask me.